Crunchy "Caramely" Granola

 



So I know what you're probably thinking: really? granola? that's all that you could come up with? Look, I hear you. Its granola. But the "caramely," warm, deliciously-sweet nature of this granola makes it unlike anything you could ever buy at the store. The best part is that it is literally the easiest thing to make and can be enjoyed with yogurt, on top of smoothies, or even with just a splash of milk. The original recipe is from The Kitchn but I made some modifications by adding coconut and cutting down on some of the measurements, it was divine! Here's how you make it:

Ingredients: 

  • 1/2 cup canola oil or other neutral oil (I used vegetable) 
  • 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup  (I used honey) 
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon  (I used way more of this than just 1/2 tsp) 
  • 1/2  teaspoon salt 
  • cups old-fashioned rolled oats 
  • cup sliced almonds 
  • cup raisins or other dried, chopped fruit ( I halved this) 
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (My addition) 

Step 1: Preheat the oven to 325F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (do not use wax paper, I made that mistake once and it was not pretty) 

Step 2: Combine the oil, honey, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl (definitely recommend using a whisk or the honey will just stick to the back of your spoon).



















Step 3: Fold the oats, almonds, and coconut into the "wet" mixture. I added the coconut in last for some reason, but you don't have to do that. Just keep in mind that the more oil the coconut gets on it, the quicker it will burn. So keep an eye on it while it bakes! The combined mixture will have just enough liquid on it to coat the oats and almonds. Do not be tempted to add any additional honey or oil unless your mixture is very dry. 


Step 4: Dump the oat mixture onto your lined baking sheet, spread it out, and pack it down if you want more clumpy granola. Bake at 325 for  20 to 30 minutes. I would recommend keeping it in for longer since that's what gives it the slightly "caramely" vibe!


Step 5: Take out of the oven, toss in your raisins (or don't if you don't like them), and enjoy! I would recommend eating it like cereal, with a little oat or almond milk. It is a convenient, more natural alternative and is equally as delicious! Store in an airtight container for up to a month.




Comments

Popular Posts